National Renewable Solutions, LLC (“NRS”) is a renewable energy company founded in 2011 and based in Minnetonka, Minnesota. NRS originates, acquires, and develops renewable energy projects throughout the US at various stages, including from greenfield through operations. Our history represents a wind and solar portfolio of over 1 GW of either operating or NTP-ready projects, demonstrating a strong track record in a competitive field. Our current active development portfolio comprises over 4 GW of renewable projects.
In the middle of 2021, NRS was acquired by BlackRock Real Assets – Climate Infrastructure Group (“BlackRock”) with the intention of accelerating the development of its pipeline of projects toward financing, construction, and operations. With NRS’ on-the-ground development and origination expertise and BlackRock’s capital markets support and global reach, we have positioned ourselves as a major player in the U.S. renewable energy market.
We are currently seeking an experienced, Senior Electrical Engineer who will be the principal for specifications, design, and construction of the electrical infrastructure for wind, solar, battery and transmission facilities, along with supporting the associated structures within the NRS portfolio. The role requires technical competency on electrical infrastructure as well as project management skills. To succeed in this position, the candidate will need to demonstrate an aptitude for efficiency, problem-solving, and resourcefulness, with a deep commitment to the bottom line without compromising quality.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manage and oversee third parties and Owners Engineering services.
• Identify and perform the project related actions, to support tender processes, contracts, and general project management. This includes, but is not limited to technical negotiations with contractors,
project assessments, lead request for information, due diligences, site visits, engineering studies, etc. • Supervision of the works related to project development activities, including writing specifications where required.
• Scoping consultancy and engineering works required by the project, including supervision.
• Management of consultants and contractors for the delivery of project infrastructures and facilities.
• Provide technical support to the negotiations, either for managing or amending existing agreements, or new contracts.
• Supervision of the electrical design of the facility, including the evaluation and follow-up of contractors’ proposals and works.
• Site visits/inspections to projects, as needed.
• To implement Lessons Learned from previous projects and to communicate lessons to project personal.
• To provide support on general engineering and management aspects of the project.
• Understanding of Interconnection Studies and ability to translate requirements into site specific project designs. Ability to support interconnection team in their preparation of Interconnection Applications and review of studies received.
• Able to manage the following design studies (as required): o Short Circuit Study
o Cable ampacity study (for collection system, substation, and T-Line, if applicable)
o Arc Flash studies
o Harmonics study
o Relay coordination study
o Insulation coordination study (this may include transient overvoltage and effectively grounded studies as well)
o Load flow/power flow study (showing compliance with power factor and voltage requirements at all load levels)
o Electrical loss calculations
o Substation and WTG/PV/BESS grounding study
o Any other special studies that may be needed as requested based on special site conditions (e.g., lightning study)
• Manage the preparation of the following: o Detailed collection system, substation, and/or T-line specifications. Include applicable standards, required equipment specifications, construction and testing specifications.
o All vendor submittals. Include Cable, MPT and GSU transformer shop drawings, inverters, BESS integration, etc.
o Complete (IFC) drawing package for the collection system, collection substation, t-line and interconnection switchyard (if applicable)
• Other duties as assigned.
Requirements and Qualifications:
• Degree in Electrical Engineering from an ABET accredited University.
• A PE in Electrical Engineering
• Min 4 years relevant and similar in Renewables industry.
• Familiar with Occupational Safety and Health Administration Requirements (OSHA)
• Construction planning, estimations, and risk management.
• Highly developed communication (written and verbal) and ability to present effectively to management teams.
• Excellent negotiation and influencing skills.
• Advanced user of Microsoft office applications.
• Ability to use CAD software if needed for preliminary design.
• Mature, proactive, resourceful, and hands-on with good initiative.
• Independent and meticulous worker who can work well with minimal supervision.
• Fast worker with ability to work well under stress.
• Strong technical skills and problem-solving ability.
• Available to travel up to 50% when needed.